History: Early History
When South Yorkshire was dived into parishes in the early middle ages, Wentworth was initally part of the parish of Wath, along with Swinton, Hoyland and Brampton. It was not until long after the domesday survey of 1085, that these were split into manors, meaning that each of the subsideries of Wath were granted equal rights, and had permission to instate thier own Priest.
In the late 1600s a report shows that Wentworth had a congregation of 400, and because of of this, it was attached to Hoyland Church, However, Wentworth was still part of Wath at this time, and quite when Wentworth became a parish in its own right is unclear. There is a possbility that this was not the case until the New Parishes Act in 1840.